What you should add to your profile today to help you get the job you want.
📖 3-minute read
Want to quickly and easily increase your chances of finding the job you want on Handshake? Add your job interests to your profile.
When you fill in your interests, two really great things happen:
- We send you better, more relevant job recommendations.
- You’re more likely to have a recruiter message you! 80% of students who share their interests on Handshake receive a message from a recruiter. The more you include, the better your chances of having a recruiter find you.
That’s a pretty big return on not a lot of work. And the best part is—filling out your interests is as easy as sharing your opinion with us. Who knows what you like and don’t like better than you?
What are job interests?
The “Your Interests” section of your Handshake profile includes:
- Job type
- Bonus: Career Clusters
These are common fields that employers use to search for potential candidates—so including them in your profile is essential to getting recruited.
What are you looking for?
- Job type: select part-time job, full-time job, or internship. Looking for a part-time job for now and an internship for next summer? You can select more than one job type, and we’ll share recommendations for each.
- Cities: choose the places that you’d like to work in or near. There are thousands of incredible employers on Handshake from every corner of the country, so we recommend being open to exploring jobs in a few different locations.
- Roles: select at least three job roles that interest you. We’ll give you suggestions based on your major, school and city. You can also search our job role pages to learn more about what you’d like to do.
- Career Clusters: add your favorite career clusters (we like to call them career communities) that best match your interests. We’ll give your supported network of like-minded community members, exclusive invites to events to connect with alumni and employers, and tools to help you discover what your love to do.
Explore Career Communities now
You may be thinking “What if I don’t know what I’m looking for?” That’s ok. We’ll give you some suggestions. And, like the rest of your profile information, you can always change your interests later.
“Handshake helped me get two jobs so far. Unlike other sites where I have to dig through and filter out jobs, Handshake has jobs organized and sorted for you. It saves time and gives me a better understanding of the job I’m looking for.“
-Neha, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Your Handshake profile is the key to finding jobs and internships that are right for you, and getting recruited by the employers you want to work for.
Ready to find the right job or internship for you? Log into Handshake and fill in your interests today!