The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including the disabled and veterans.
Whiting-Turner Entry-Level Engineers are team members who help manage all aspects of construction projects. Reporting to a Project Manager and/or a Superintendent, the Entry-Level Engineer’s major duties include:
- Coordinating work with project owner representatives, architects, engineers, inspectors, and site subcontractors and/or directing the work of all trades assigned to a construction work site.
- Managing estimating and bidding processes and tracking costs to manage project budget.
- Resolving and clarifying design issues.
- Identifying and resolving field issues and change orders.
- Writes contracts and purchase orders using company boilerplate language to document all ordered work, schedules, projected costs, change orders and technical specifications.
- Participating in meetings to coordinate work and manage labor concerns.
- Ensuring work is completed in accordance with quality standards and contract specifications.
- Implementing project schedules including each task associated with project completion.
- Documenting the technical, financial and personnel aspects of each project.
- Reviewing project drawings, specifications, submittals and change orders.
- Reviewing each trade’s work progress with respect to each project phase.
- Providing field support to construction superintendents to help ensure contract compliance, quality control and maintenance of the site.
- Tracking project phase completion against milestones.
- Setting expectations for managing a safe work site.
- Documenting each phase of the project.
Whiting-Turner will train qualified candidates to develop:
- General knowledge of safety regulations, ANSI standards, local and state building codes, environmental codes, availability of industry-specific codes and guidelines.
- General knowledge of general construction processes, practices and work sites.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project, Suretrak, Primavera (or other scheduling software.
Basic qualifications for Entry-Level Engineer candidates include:
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline, Engineering Technology or Construction Management, Construction Technology.
- Knowledge of engineering principles.
- Knowledge of basic business principles sufficient to project and monitor expenses.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel.
- Ability to read and understand technical specifications, blueprints, technical manuals, product/material installation instructions and engineering/architectural drawings.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Experience with construction projects, mechanical/electrical systems, building materials, building mechanics or working with craft workers.